Apartment Resident Assistant
Help make Off Campus Apartments a great place to live for everybody! Become an Apartment Resident Assistant (ARA)
How To Become an ARA
UCLA Residential Life is currently searching for our 2019-2020 academic year Apartment Resident Assistants! Please review the following timeline regarding our three-stage selection process:
- Online Application - CLOSED
- Group and Individual Interviews
Monday, December 3, 2018 (@ 8AM PST)
Friday, January 4, 2019 (@ 12PM PST)
All candidates are notified of application review decisions via email by Friday, Feb 8th. Selected candidates will be provided individual interview schedule and sign-up instructions.
*Should there be adjustments in the timeline, updates will be sent via email.
What is an Apartment Resident Assistant?
Apartment Resident Assistants (ARA) are live-in, part-time (44%) student staff. ARAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the community development and student support program in a residential community. Under the supervision of a Community Director, ARAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Counsel residents regarding problems or concerns and provide resource and referral information
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their interaction with the campus community
- Promote, develop, and implement programs to meet departmental goals
- Know and enforce University Apartments Housing Regulations and document any student concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Provide Duty coverage for the off campus housing community on a rotating basis. ARAs provide coverage from 8:00pm to 7:00am
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all ARAs are the same; however the manner in which functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room & bi-weekly stipend
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for an appointment of the full academic year (10 months) to a University Apartment undergraduate or graduate off-campus community. Employment will start with training either the last week of August or the first week of September 2019. Employment start date and training details will be provided to those selected for hire to consider before accepting job offer. Participation in Fall training and ongoing training during the academic year is mandatory.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment per quarter.
- Undergraduate student preferred qualifications: previous Lead Resident Assistant experience, or more than one year as a Resident Assistant.
- Graduate student preferred qualifications: previous Residential Life and/or Housing experience.
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year).
- Employment in the Apartment Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email ResLifeUA@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Audio Visual Technician
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Event Management Assistant
- Graduate Housing Community Assistant
- Learning Center Consultant
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistants
- Programming Board Representative
- Program Support Assistant
- Program Support Technician
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- Resident Technology Consultant
- Resident Technology Supervisor
- Studio 22 Office Assistant
- Video Production Assistant
- Video Production Senior
- Video Production Student Supervisor