Apartment Resident Assistant
Help make Off Campus Apartments a great place to live for everybody! Become an Apartment Resident Assistant (ARA)
How To Become an ARA
Recruitment process timeline for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Monday, December 2, 2019: Undergraduate Housing ARA and Graduate Housing ARA Written Application Opens.
- Undergraduate Housing ARA Application: https://tinyurl.com/20-21UndergradAptApp
- Graduate Housing ARA Application: *Must be a graduate student to apply.* https://tinyurl.com/20-21GradAptARA
- A confirmation email will be sent once we have received your written application.
- Friday, January 3, 2020 at 12pm, Noon (PST): Written Application Closes.
- January 22, 2020 - February 7, 2020: ARA Duty Shadowing & Individual Interviews.
- Friday, February 14, 2020 by End of Day: Offer Letters Sent Out
*Note: In the event that the timeline changes or there are any delays, candidates will be contacted by the committee.
FAQ: Housing Application for ARA Candidates
I am applying to be an ARA, should I still apply for housing?
Yes - If you are interested in living in on-campus housing, we encourage you to submit a housing application by the deadline. In the event that you are hired, your deposit will be returned.
What is an Apartment Resident Assistant?
Apartment Resident Assistants (ARA) are live-in, part-time (44%) student staff. ARAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the community development and student support program in a residential community. Under the supervision of a Community Director, ARAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Counsel residents regarding problems or concerns and provide resource and referral information
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their interaction with the campus community
- Promote, develop, and implement programs to meet departmental goals
- Know and enforce University Apartments Housing Regulations and document any student concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Provide Duty coverage for the off campus housing community on a rotating basis. ARAs provide coverage from 8:00pm to 7:00am
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all ARAs are the same; however the manner in which functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room & bi-weekly stipend
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for an appointment of the full academic year (10 months) to a University Apartment undergraduate or graduate off-campus community. Employment will start with training either the last week of August or the first week of September 2020. Employment start date and training details will be provided to those selected for hire to consider before accepting job offer. Participation in Fall training and ongoing training during the academic year is mandatory.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment per quarter.
- Undergraduate student preferred qualifications: previous Lead Resident Assistant experience, or more than one year as a Resident Assistant.
- Graduate student preferred qualifications: previous Residential Life and/or Housing experience.
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year).
- Employment in the Apartment Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email ResLifeUA@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Audio Visual Technician
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Event Management Assistant
- Graduate Housing Community Assistant
- Learning Center Consultant
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- Multimedia Assistant
- Multimedia Lead
- Multimedia Supervisor
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistants
- Programming Board Representative
- Program Support Assistant
- Program Support Technician
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- Resident Technology Consultant
- Resident Technology Supervisor