Apartment Resident Assistant - UA South
Help make Off Campus Apartments a great place to live for everybody! Become an Apartment Resident Assistant (ARA)
How To Become an Apartment Resident Assistant for University Apartments South
UCLA Residential Life is filling vacancies for the 2021-2022 academic year ARA team. Please review the following timeline regarding our three-stage selection process:
- Online Application - OPEN
- Individual Interview
Monday, April 19, 2021
Ongoing reviews and interviews until positions filled. Qualified candidates will be offered an individual interview.
Friday, May 14 at 12 pm
What does an Apartment Resident Assistant do in UA South?
Apartment Resident Assistants (ARAs) are live-in, part-time (44%) student staff. The ARA position connects with residents in various ways to enhance the living and learning experience. ARAs function as an after-hours extension of the University Apartments South (UAS) Residential Life team liaising with Housing and Hospitality Services’ maintenance staff, responding to low-level maintenance concerns and maintaining positive relationships among residents and university staff.
Under the supervision of Residential Life professional staff, ARAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their involvement with the campus community
- Know and uphold University Apartments Housing Regulations and document any resident concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Able to perform hands-on building maintenance functions
- Provide Duty coverage for the off campus housing community on a rotating basis. ARAs provide coverage from 6pm to 7am (Monday - Thursday); 6pm Friday to 9am Saturday; 6pm Saturday to all-day on Sunday.
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all ARAs are the same; however the manner in which the functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room & bi-weekly stipend. Housing accommodations provided will be a Studio or 1 Bedroom apartment based on the building assigned. In the event the employee requires a larger unit due to family size, a rental rate fee will be charged separately. This charge will be calculated such that the employee pays the difference of the required unit size rent less the Studio or 1 Bedroom rent as charged to all other students in that unit type in that complex.
- Apartment gas & electricity will be paid according to reimbursement schedule and current guidelines.
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for a 12-month appointment (July 1st through June 30th) to a University Apartment graduate off-campus community. Employment will start with training throughout the summer and continue as needed. Employment start date and initial training details will be provided to those selected for hire to consider before accepting job offer. Participation in all training and ongoing training is mandatory.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment per quarter during time of employment.)
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year)
- Graduate student preferred qualifications: previous Residential Life and/or Housing experience.
- Employment in the Apartment Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email ResLifeUAS@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant - UA North
- Apartment Resident Assistant - UA South
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Event Technician
- Learning Centers Consultant
- Learning Centers Supervisor
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistant - Hill
- Office Assistant - University Apartments North
- Office Assistant] - University Apartments South
- Program and Event Management Student Supervisor
- Programming Board Intern
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- RISE Student Ambassador
- Study Hall Proctor
- Volunteer Center Program Coordinator