Help make the Hill a great place to live for everybody! Become an RA
How To Become an RA
The Resident Assistant recruitment process for the 2018-2019 academic year is complete. Any upcoming vacancies will be filled from the already established alternate pool.
We plan to start recruitment for the 2019-2020 academic year around December 2018/January 2019. When we have updates, we will update this page.
If you have questions around eligibility for the position, please review this page or contact HR@orl.ucla.edu.
What is a Resident Assistant?
Resident Assistants (RA) are live-in, part-time (42%) student staff. RAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the student development program in a residential community. Under the supervision of a Resident Director, RAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Establish an atmosphere conducive to study and provide academic assistance to residents
- Counsel residents regarding problems or concerns and provide resource and referral information
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their interaction with the campus community
- Promote, develop, and implement programs to meet departmental goals
- Know and enforce On Campus Housing and University regulations and document any student concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Provide “duty coverage” for the on campus housing community on a rotation basis. RAs provide coverage from 8:00pm to 7:00am
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all RAs are the same; however the manner in which functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room, board and basic room telephone service.
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for an appointment of the full academic year (10 months) to any on-campus residential community. Employment will start with training either the last week of August or the first week of September 2018 (we’ll post which one it will be here by Dec 22, 2017) and will extend through the last day of the 2019 Spring quarter. A specific start date will be shared during the Spring quarter. Participation in training is mandatory regardless of assignment.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment, 12 units per quarter, during time of employment)
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year)
- Employment in the Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email RARecruitment@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Audio Visual Technician
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Graduate Housing Community Assistant
- Learning Center Consultant
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistants
- Programming Board Representative
- Program Support Technician
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- Resident Technology Consultant
- Resident Technology Supervisor
- Support Assistant
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- Studio 22 Office Assistant
- Video Production Assistant
- Video Production Senior
- Video Production Student Supervisor