First Year (New) Resident Assistant
2021-2022 Resident Assistant (RA) Recruitment
The application for the RA Recruitment for the 2021-2022 academic year closed on April 5, 2021.
Decision updates have been emailed out as of May 7, 2021. If you applied for the position and did not receive an email, please double check your spam/junk folder.
The supplemental application was emailed on June 14th, 2021. If you were offered the position and did not receive the application, be sure to double check your spam/junk folder.
What is a Resident Assistant?
Resident Assistants (RA) are live-in, part-time student staff. Under the supervision of a Resident Director, RAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the student development program in a residential community.
The complete RA job description can be found here and a brief overview can be seen below.
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Establish an atmosphere conducive to study and provide academic assistance to residents
- Counsel residents regarding problems or concerns and provide resource and referral information
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their interaction with the campus community
- Promote, develop, and implement programs to meet departmental goals
- Know and enforce On Campus Housing and University regulations and document any student concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Provide “duty coverage” for the on campus housing community on a rotation basis. RAs provide coverage from 8:00pm to 7:00am
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all RAs are the same; however the manner in which functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Important Note: The immediate and long-term effects of COVID-19 on our operations and the resident experience is unknown. All members of Residential Life, including RAs, will be expected to contribute to efforts aimed at promoting student health, supporting essential services, and stopping the spread of the virus.
What is a Lead Resident Assistant? (Returners)
This position is only available to students who are currently or were an RA at UCLA in the past. This role includes components of mentorship for RAs serving in their first year of the position.
The complete Lead RA job description can be found here and a brief overview can be seen below.
- Consistently take initiative to support team members; utilize experience and critical thinking skills to assist in creative problem solving
- Positively represent the department, and it’s values, through active leadership beyond their own community
- Serve as a conduit between team and supervisors to foster streamlined communication
What is a Living Learning Communities Resident Assistant? (LLC RA)
Residential Life supports 10 Living Learning Communities and the Transfer Experience where students with similar interests live together and participate in programs that cater to their academic, social, and personal needs. Students in an LLC partake in academic experiences with their peers, interact with faculty, and enjoy the benefits of a diverse community that shares scholarly interests.
- To apply for the LLC RA position, candidates will still formally apply with the written application and video responses, but must also complete a brief supplemental application.
- For more information regarding the responsibilities of the LLC RA position, please refer to: https://reslife.ucla.edu/employment/ra-llc
Compensation and Perks
- Room, board and basic room telephone service.
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
RA employment dates vary slightly from year to year.
Employment will start with training in early September and continues through the entire academic year, which ends in June. You will also be required to fully participate in Move-In Weekend and Welcome Week.
Participation in training is mandatory regardless of assignment. Outside commitments during training are not permitted. Note: Summer Session C overlaps with training dates. If you need to take a class to graduate during this time, you must first receive approval.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment, 12 units per quarter, during time of employment)
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year)
- Employment in the Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
FAQ: Housing Application for RA Candidates
I am applying to be an RA, should I still apply for housing?
Yes - If you are interested in living in on-campus housing, we encourage you to submit a housing application by the deadline. In the event that you are hired, your deposit will be returned.
New Hiring Policy As of 2019-2020
Residential Life is beginning its efforts to maximize the number of students able to participate in the leadership development opportunity of serving as a Resident Assistant. With that, please note that beginning the academic year of 2019-2020, both the Resident Assistant and Lead Resident Assistant positions are limited to a one year appointment.
What does that mean?
A student may serve as as a Resident Assistant for one academic year. Depending on performance and department hiring needs, the following academic year, the student may apply for the Lead Resident Assistant role and serve in that capacity for a limit of one academic year.
If a student wishes to be part of Residential Life for a third academic year, a student may apply for an Apartment Resident Assistant position.
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email RARecruitment@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant - UA North
- Apartment Resident Assistant - UA South
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Event Technician
- Learning Centers Consultant
- Learning Centers Supervisor
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistant - Hill
- Office Assistant - University Apartments North
- Office Assistant] - University Apartments South
- Program and Event Management Student Supervisor
- Programming Board Intern
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- RISE Student Ambassador
- Study Hall Proctor
- Volunteer Center Program Coordinator