Help make the Hill a great place to live for everybody! Become an RA!
How To Become a Resident Assistant
We are recruiting Resident Assistants for the 2019-2020 academic year!
Please refer to the timeline below. Unfortunately, no late applications can be considered. We will do our best to maintain this timeline. If any changes or delays occur, we will notify current applicants as soon as possible.
Monday, 12/3/18 - Applications Open
Friday, 1/4/19 @ 12pm, Noon - Applications Close. Video Prompts Sent by 5pm
Monday, 1/7/19 @ 12pm, Noon - Video Prompts Due
Friday, 2/1/19 - Applicants Notified of Status. Group Process Information Sent Out.
Tuesday, 2/5/19 - Group Process Schedule Set
Wed., 2/6/19 - Su., 2/10/19 - Group Process Occurs
Friday, 2/15/19 - Offers Sent
Submit an Application
2019-2020 Lead Resident Application Note: To be eligible for the Lead RA position, student must be current UCLA RA or served as a UCLA RA in the past.
New Hiring Policy Beginning Academic Year of 2019-2020
Residential Life is beginning its efforts to maximize the number of students able to participate in the leadership development opportunity of serving as a Resident Assistant. With that, please note that beginning the academic year of 2019-2020, both the Resident Assistant and Lead Resident Assistant positions are limited to a one year appointment.
What does that mean?
A student may serve as as a Resident Assistant for one academic year. Depending on performance and department hiring needs, the following academic year, the student may apply for the Lead Resident Assistant role and serve in that capacity for a limit of one academic year.
If a student wishes to be part of Residential Life for a third academic year, a student may apply for an Apartment Resident Assistant position.
What if I’m currently a Lead Resident Assistant, can I still apply for the Lead RA position for the academic year of 2019-2020?
Yes. For students currently serving as a Lead RA, the implementation of this new hiring policy will not impact you for the 2019-20 academic year and you are still permitted to apply for the Lead RA role again.
What is a Resident Assistant?
Resident Assistants (RA) are live-in, part-time (42%) student staff. RAs are responsible for the administration and implementation of the student development program in a residential community. Under the supervision of a Resident Director, RAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Establish an atmosphere conducive to study and provide academic assistance to residents
- Counsel residents regarding problems or concerns and provide resource and referral information
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their interaction with the campus community
- Promote, develop, and implement programs to meet departmental goals
- Know and enforce On Campus Housing and University regulations and document any student concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Provide “duty coverage” for the on campus housing community on a rotation basis. RAs provide coverage from 8:00pm to 7:00am
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all RAs are the same; however the manner in which functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room, board and basic room telephone service.
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for an appointment of the full academic year (10 months) to any on-campus residential community. Employment will start with training (tentatively, the dates for training will be Tues. Sept. 3 - Wed. Sept. 18) and will extend through the last day of the 2019 Spring quarter. A specific start date will be shared during the Spring quarter. Participation in training is mandatory regardless of assignment.
- Current undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment, 12 units per quarter, during time of employment)
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year)
- Employment in the Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email RARecruitment@orl.ucla.edu
- Apartment Resident Assistant
- Arts Engagement Intern
- Assistant Resident Director
- Audio Visual Technician
- Community Development Intern
- Computer Support Technician
- Graduate Housing Community Assistant
- Learning Center Consultant
- Maker Space Technician
- Media Specialist
- OCHC Executive Board Member
- Office Assistants
- Programming Board Representative
- Program Support Assistant
- Program Support Technician
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Resident Director
- Resident Government Council
- Resident Technology Consultant
- Resident Technology Supervisor
- Studio 22 Office Assistant
- Video Production Assistant
- Video Production Senior
- Video Production Student Supervisor