Apartment Resident Assistant - UA South
Help make Off Campus Apartments a great place to live for everybody! Become an Apartment Resident Assistant (ARA)
How To Become an Apartment Resident Assistant for University Apartments South (UAS)
UCLA Residential Life is filling vacancies for the 2022-2023 academic year ARA team. Please review the following timeline regarding our three-stage selection process:
- Online Application - Open December 1, 2022
- Individual Interview
Ongoing reviews and interviews until positions filled. Qualified candidates will be offered an individual interview.
Friday, January 13, 2023 at 12 pm
First Round Review of Submitted Applications
UA South ARA Information Sessions:
The Recruitment Committee encourages potential candidates to attend an Residential Life info session! This is an opportunity to learn more about the position from current ARAs have your questions answered, and better understand the recruitment process. All informational sessions will be offered via Zoom.
ARA Information Sessions
- Monday, November 21, 2022 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Register Here)
- Monday, December 5, 2023 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Register Here)
- Monday, January 9, 2023 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Register Here)
- Tuesday, January 10, 2023 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Register Here)
What does an Apartment Resident Assistant do in UA South?
Apartment Resident Assistants (ARAs) are live-in, part-time (44%) student staff. The ARA position connects with residents in various ways to enhance the living and learning experience. ARAs function as an after-hours extension of the University Apartments South (UAS) Residential Life team liaising with Housing and Hospitality Services’ maintenance staff, responding to low-level maintenance concerns and maintaining positive relationships among residents and university staff.
Under the supervision of Residential Life professional staff, ARAs perform the following functions:
- Foster and develop community among residents
- Maximize positive resident interaction and their involvement with the campus community
- Know and uphold University Apartments Housing Regulations and document any resident concerns
- Help to maintain the safety and general well-being of residents
- Able to perform hands-on building maintenance functions
- Provide Duty coverage for the off campus housing community on a rotating basis. ARAs provide coverage from 6pm to 7am (Monday - Thursday); 6pm Friday to 9am Saturday; 6pm Saturday to all-day on Sunday.
- Attend Bi-weekly Wednesday Night staff meetings, as well as Summer training typically starting mid/late June
- Attend additional Residential Life developmental trainings that occur throughout the year
- Other duties as assigned
The functions of all ARAs are the same; however the manner in which the functions are implemented may vary according to the specific community assignment.
Compensation and Perks
- Room & bi-weekly stipend. Housing accommodations provided will be a Studio or 1 Bedroom apartment based on the building assigned. In the event the employee requires a larger unit due to family size, a rental rate fee will be charged separately. This charge will be calculated such that the employee pays the difference of the required unit size rent less the Studio or 1 Bedroom rent as charged to all other students in that unit type in that complex.
- Apartment gas & electricity will be paid according to reimbursement schedule and current guidelines.
- Get résumé boosting experience in leadership, problem-solving and communications.
- It’s a really fun job and you get to make a real difference in the Bruin community!
Dates of Employment
Candidates are considered for a 12-month appointment (July 1st through June 30th) to a University Apartment graduate off-campus community. Employment will start with training throughout the summer and continue as needed. Employment start date and initial training details will be provided to those selected for hire to consider before accepting job offer. Participation in all training and ongoing training is mandatory.
- Current full-time undergraduate or graduate UCLA student at time of application (must maintain full-time enrollment per quarter during time of employment.)
- Maintain 2.3 minimum cumulative GPA at time of application, hire, and/or rehire (beginning of Fall Quarter of each academic year)
- Graduate student preferred qualifications: previous Residential Life and/or Housing experience.
- Employment in the Apartment Resident Assistant job is contingent on successfully passing background checks including student conduct records and state/national crime records.
- Availability for a 44% time appointment. This percentage can not be modified.
If you have questions about your specific employment eligibility (ex. student visas), you can contact HR@orl.ucla.edu
University of California SARS-Cov-2 (Covid-19) Vaccination Program Policy
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees must (a) provide proof of receiving at least one dose of a COVID-19 Vaccine no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment and provide proof of Full Vaccination no later than eight weeks after their first date of employment; or (b) if applicable, submit a request for Exception or Deferral no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy - https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction
For general questions about this position or the recruitment process, please email ResLifeUAS@orl.ucla.edu
- Monday, November 21, 2022 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm