The Living Learning Community (LLC) Program is transitioning to a virtual experience for the 2020-2021 school year. This means students living on and off campus are able to participate, and no community will be assigned a physical floor. If you are interested in joining a Living Learning Community please email firstname.lastname@example.org. While “community” may be built in new ways, it will still be the motivation behind all that we do. We look forward to connecting with you!
The Sustainability Living Learning Community provides a living and learning environment that encourages students to consciously expand their awareness and apply their knowledge of sustainability through environmental responsibility and advocacy. This community focuses on the social, economic, political, and scientific issues affecting our Earth’s urban, rural, and global environment. The Sustainability Living Learning Community provides students with opportunities to work alongside campus partners in both structured and informal methods to explore ways in which UCLA students can lead more sustainable lifestyles.
All students, regardless of major, are invited to participate in this community as we explore different methods of sustainability and how it affects the world around us.
The Sustainable Living Experience
- Kayaking and Beach Day: Spend a day at the UCLA Marina kayaking with your new best friends and then head to Dockweiler Beach for a campfire, vegan s’mores, and plenty of sun!
- Vegan Cupcake Cooking Night: Cook up a good time at the Hitchen with some vegan sweets and a movie!
- Planting Party: Join your floormates starting a floor garden at Sunset Recreation, care for the baby plants, and reap the harvests!
- Energy Games Kickoff: Bring your very own great event ideas to fruition working with your floormates to plan the massive hill-wide kickoff to the Energy Games Competition! Then sit back and watch the energy savings roll in.
- Athens Recycling Facility Tour: See firsthand where UCLA’s recyclables go to be sorted and processed into new products!
GE Cluster for Freshmen
As a first-year student in this LLC, you may want to enroll in Cluster M1: Food: A Lens for Environment and Sustainability. In this cluster, you’ll explore the complex connections between food and the environment, focusing on scientific, economic, cultural and social factors. As the world’s human population surpasses 7 billion - with 1 billion people starving and approximately 1.5 billion over-weight - feeding the global population in a healthy, sustainable way in the face of climate change is perhaps the most urgent challenge of our time. You can find out more about the Clusters at the workshop on the First Year curriculum at your Orientation session, and your summer New Student Advisor can work with you to get you enrolled in Cluster M1.
- “Living on the Sustainable Living floor has been a great way to connect with floormates because you already know you have a common interest. Even if you don’t know anything about being green, it’s a fun place to live.”
- “We’re focused and do fun things. We have plants on our floor and that’s nice; I like looking at our lounge and seeing our plants in the pots that our floor painted.”
- “For a greener future!”
Affiliated Community Organizations
Email us at email@example.com