2020-2021 Virtual Living Learning Communities
To current UCLA students living on and off campus: join us virtually this year! While “community” may be built in new ways, it will still be the motivation behind all that we do. We look forward to connecting with you!
The Pilipinx Living Learning Community is a home and support group with the goal of increasing proficiency in leadership, academic, cultural knowledge, and community development skills for success in college, work, and life. It is open to all students and focuses on education in relation to the Pilipinx American experience. The activities are designed to encourage students to engage in dialogue, research, leadership, and creative art to continue the legacy of the Pilipinx American narrative.
Pilipinx is the gender-neutral alternative to Pilipino, Pilipina and even Pilipin@. Used by scholars, activists and an increasing number of journalists, Pilipinx is quickly gaining popularity among the general public. It’s part of a “linguistic revolution” that aims to move beyond gender binaries and is inclusive of the intersecting identities of Filipino American descendants. In addition to men and women from all racial backgrounds, Pilipinx also makes room for people who are trans, queer, agender, non-binary, gender non-conforming or gender fluid. Switching the F to the P celebrates identity, as we learn about the larger frame of decolonization.
The Pilipinx LLC is located in Dykstra Hall.
- After Lives of Martial Law a Listening/Disco Manila Party: Learn about music and digital archival documentary by dialoging Philippines history and impacts of Martial Law in Los Angeles based communities.
- Tinikling Workshop: The Pilipinx and Visual Performing Art Collective (VPAC) LLC host a dance workshop and communal poster board collaboration to UCLA community at large.
- Pilipinx Welcome Reception: The Pilipinx LLC hosts a social and resource fair for the UCLA Pilipinx community at large.
- Pilipinx LLC Signature Event: Music, Motion, and Filipino Identity. Come and enjoy a night full of performances from the Pilipinx LLC. Including Karaoke at the end.
GE Cluster for Freshmen
As a first-year student in this LLC, you may want to enroll in Cluster 20: Interracial Dynamics in American Society and Culture. Being part of the Cluster will allow you to bring your experiences from your LLC into the classroom. Cluster 20 looks at social and cultural themes that shape contemporary American life, explores the role of race in society today and the ways in which racial stereotypes are produced and challenged in popular culture. You’ll engage in active dialogue and debate to become culturally fluent in the new multiethnic complexities that have displaced the outdated black-white paradigm of U.S. race relations. Your summer New Student Advisor can work with you to get you enrolled in Cluster 20.
- “Welcome to a family of student leaders passionate about the Pilipinx experience. Mabuhay!”
- “Everyone is really nice here and I really like how you bring people from the community to our floor!”
- “Isang Bagsak!”
- “Friends on this floor turned into my family.”
- “Dialogue and community is what it’s all about!”
Affiliated Student Organizations
Email us at email@example.com